Recipe: Cannabis Hot Chocolate Bombs
Posted: January 8th, 2021
Anyone else falling off the “Dry January” train? Give “California Sober” a try instead, with the ultimate cannabis-elevated hot cocoa. We’ve partnered with two of our favorite cannabis confectioners to create a recipe of the season’s favorite winter treat—hot cocoa bombs. It’s a winner that will give you a moment of relaxation even amidst the 2020 hangover.
Always looking to share and collaborate among our community of empowered women, we collaborated with two of our favorites, Stephanie Hua, founder of Mellows and Maya Elisabeth, founder of OM Edibles to create the hot cocoa bomb that will bring you comfort, fun and delicious flavors. Settle in and relax as the flavors of Garden Society Spiced Dark Chocolate and Sage-Brown Butter Mellows and OM Raw Cacao deliciously intertwine and the full-spectrum cannabis lulls you off to sweet dream perfection. Find Garden Society, OM Edibles and Mellows at licensed cannabis retailers throughout California.
Makes: 6 bombs
Dosage per bomb: 15mg THC + 10mg CBD
- food thermometer
- silicone sphere mold (2 ½-inch diameter)
- ¼-inch paint brush
Temper Virgin Chocolate
- Finely chop the virgin chocolate and place in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave the chocolate for 30 seconds. Stir with a rubber spatula, moving the chocolate from the outside edges to the center to evenly heat it.
- Microwave for 15 seconds and stir again. Take the temp of your chocolate to make sure it is not above 90ºF.
- Repeat this process 2-5 more times until the chocolate is almost melted. Never heat more than 15 seconds and do not let your chocolate get above 90ºF. Once almost melted, just continue stirring until the chocolate is fully melted from the residual heat from the bowl.
- Pour some chocolate onto some parchment paper and pop it into the fridge for 5 minutes. Take it out and observe it. Does it look shiny? Does it snap sharply when you break it? If so, it’s tempered and ready to go in your molds. If your chocolate is dull, has white residue on top or just bends when you try to break it, it’s not tempered and you may have heated it too far. Don’t worry, you can seed it with more chopped chocolate. Just add in 2 ounces of finely chopped chocolate and stir until melted. You may need to heat for 5-10 seconds to get it fully melted. Test again before using.
Mold First Layer
- To mold the chocolate spheres, first make sure the insides of your molds are clean. Any residue will cause a blemish on the surface of your chocolate.
- Pour about 2 teaspoons of melted chocolate into each mold, and using the paint brush, spread it around to make an even layer inside each one. Refrigerate for 5 minutes to set. Set aside leftover chocolate.
Temper Infused Chocolate
- Finely chop the Garden Society Chocolates and place into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave for 15 seconds and stir again. Repeat in 15 second intervals until the chocolate is melted.
Mold Second Layer
- Divide the melted infused chocolate evenly between the 12 molds (4.5g or about ¾ teaspoon per mold). Even distribution ensures even dosage.
- Use the paint brush again to spread the second coat of chocolate up the sides of the mold.
- Use the virgin chocolate you had set aside to add additional heft to the top rim.
- Refrigerate for five minutes to set.
- Release the half spheres from the molds.
- Warm up a plate by microwaving for about 45 seconds.
- In a circular motion, press the rim of the half sphere against the plate to create a clean, flat edge. Repeat until you’ve completed 6 of them. These will be your bottom halves.
- Fill each of the bottom halves with 1 tablespoon OM Raw Cocoa and 1 Mellows Marshmallow.
- Melt the rim of the remaining half sphere by pressing it against the warmed plate like you did before. Place it on top of the bottom halves to form a full sphere. Press gently together to seal. Repeat until all 6 bombs are formed.
- Place the hot cacao bomb in a mug and pour 8oz of hot steamed milk on top. Watch the magic! Stir and enjoy.